For an easy to read, printable version of this guide, click here
Standard eGo E-Cigarette User's Guide
The instructions that come with an eGo e-cigarette starter kit are so bad, we don't even include them in the packages anymore. Instead, we provide the following user's guide that we created, which we think explains things in a much clearer and more detailed way:
Charging the Batteries of your Standard eGo E-Cigarette
Although many people think that a brand new eGo e-cigarette battery should be completely charged before it is ever used, this is not based upon any known sound electronic theory as it relates to lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries do not have a "memory" so there is no reason to follow the charging practices of old with e-cigarette batteries.
The fact is, when you first get an e-cig battery, you will not be the first person to charge it anyway; the factory always puts either a full or partial charge in batteries to test them before boxing them up and shipping them out. Keep in mind, however, that if the factory just charged the battery enough to test it, it will not produce quite as much vapor as a fully charged battery will and, of course, it will not last very long before needing to be recharged. You really should charge your batteries before using them when you first get your kit but if you absolutely must play with your new toy, go ahead and take a few puffs using one of the batteries before putting it on the charger to get its first good charge.
When an eGo e-cigarette battery loses its charge completely it will blink a dozen times or more. Any further attempts at using the battery will be futile. When that happens, it's definitely time to charge your eGo battery as follows:
- Attach the USB charger's cord to the USB port in the AC wall plug. You can also skip this step and plug your eGo charger's cord directly into a computer or any other device's powered USB port. Keep in mind, however, that it will take considerably more time to charge an eGo battery from the lower powered USB port than it does from an AC wall outlet.
- Plug the cord into a working AC outlet (obviously, you don't need to do this if you are going to be charging your eGo battery from a computer or other USB device). The light on your eGo charger should turn green, indicating that it is getting power.
- Take your battery (the longest component of your eGo e-cigarette that has a button on it) and screw the threaded side into the charger, turning clockwise. DO NOT SCREW YOUR EGO BATTERY IN TOO TIGHTLY. Stop when there is resistance and you see the light change from green to red. If you screw your eGo battery onto the charger too tightly, you may force the post down into the battery where it will no longer be able to make proper contact with the charger or an atomizer.
- Charge the battery until the light on the charger turns from red to solid green. Sometimes, you may see the light on the charger flickering between red and green. This means that your battery is only partially charged. It should take somewhere between 3 and 4 hours to charge acompletely drained 650 mAh eGo battery and an additional couple of hours for an 1,100 mAh battery.
The following precautions MUST be exercised when charging your eGo batteries:
- Only recharge eGo batteries with the manufacturer's battery charger. Using chargers with incorrect voltage or current can cause a fire or permanent failure.
- Never leave a charging eGo battery unattended.
- Never charge an eGo battery overnight while you sleep.
- Never charge an eGo battery longer than necessary. When it is fully charged, remove thebattery. Leaving a battery on charge when it is full may degrade it s performance and couldresult in a fire.
Assembling Your Standard eGo Electronic Cigarette
All eGo batteries are now lockable and are frequently shipped in the "locked" state. Being able to lock a battery is an important new safety feature that allows you to carry an assembled eGo e-cigarette in your pocket without having to fear that it will turn on if you bend over the wrong way.You can lock or unlock an eGo battery by pressing the button rapidly 5-7 times. When you do this, the battery will flash several times, indicating that you have either locked or unlocked it.
If your eGo battery's button is not glowing when you press it, the battery is probably locked and you will need to unlock it. If your eGo battery does not flash after rapidly pressing the button 5-7 times, you probably are not pressing the button fast enough or it is a completely uncharged battery. It is easy to tell if an eGo battery is not charged; the light on the charger will turn red when the battery is screwed into it.
An Assembled Standard eGo electronic cigarette has four pieces:
- eGo Battery: It is the longest piece and has a button on it.
- 510 Atomizer: It is tube-shaped, approximately an inch long and is the only piece that can screw into the inner threads of an eGo battery.
- eGo Cone: It is a little longer than the atomizer, metal, hollow, cone shaped and is the only piece that can screw into the outer threads of an eGo battery.
- 510 Cartridge: It is plastic, about an inch long and has a fibrous material inside of it.
Assembling a Standard eGo Starter Kit is quite easy. Here's all you need to do:
- Screw the 510 atomizer into the inner threads of the eGo battery. DO NOT SCREW THE TWO PIECES TOGETHER TOO TIGHTLY; stop when there is any resistance. Screwing a 510 atomizer onto an eGo battery too tightly could force the post of the battery down into the battery where it will no longer be able to make proper contact with the atomizer or the battery charger.
- Unwrap one of the five cartridges that came with your Standard eGo Starter Kit. All of our Standard eGo Starter Kits come with unfilled cartridges so we hope you paid attention when ordering your kit and purchased a bottle of e-liquid. Please see the section, below, about how to fill your eGo e-cigarette cartridges. Once you have filled your cartridge, simply push it onto the open end of the atomizer (the other end should already be screwed onto the battery).
- Slide the eGo cone over the cartridge and atomizer, big side down (the side with the screwthreads toward the battery). Screw the cone cover onto the outer threads of your eGo battery.
Note: An eGo cone is simply a cosmetic piece that gives an eGo electronic cigarette a tapered appearance; however, it serves no function. Some people do not use the cone at all!
Your Standard eGo is now assembled and ready for use!
Filling Your Standard eGo Cartridges with E-Liquid
E-Liquid (also commonly referred to as "e-juice" or "liquid nicotine") is what creates the vapor that you inhale. When you receive a Standard eGo starter kit, there is no e-liquid in any of the cartridges, regardless of the type of starter kit that you purchased. Because we think everyone should be able to select whatever flavor and nicotine strength that they like, you will need to order e-liquid in addition to your Standard eGo Starter Kit (hopefully you heeded our advice and did so).
Filling a New Standard eGo Cartridge:
- Remove the 510 cartridge from the package and also remove the protective rubber cap that is on the "gauzy" side of the cartridge. Throw the rubber cap away.
- Drip e-liquid from your bottle one drop at a time onto the filler material until it begins tolook like a slushy. Typically, this is at least 15 drops with a brand new 510 cartridge.
- Push the side that you just filled onto the open end of the 510 atomizer. The side of the 510 cartridge with the very small pinhole is the side you inhale through.
Topping Off a Standard eGo Cartridge
You will need to frequently "top off" your eGo e-cig cartridge when it starts drying out and not producing as much vapor (or when it starts to taste more like an old rag). Depending on how large a drag you take, how frequently you will have to do this varies with each individual, but typically, it's about every 25 drags or so.
The Three Rules of a Perfectly Filled Standard eGo Cartridge
- Remove the Cartridge from the atomizer.
- Add 3 to 4 drops or as many as it takes to make it look like a slushy.
- Push the cartridge back onto your eGo atomizer.
There are only three things you need to keep in mind when filling your eGo e-cigarette cartridges, whether they are brand new cartridges or you are topping one off:
- If it looks like a piece of gauze inside, it needs more e-juice.
- If it looks like a little pond, it has at least one drop too many (not a big deal).
- If it looks like a slushy, it is perfectly filled!
*BONUS TIP: A new Standard eGo (510) cartridge frequently won't sop up as much e-liquid as it can really hold. To get as much liquid as you can into an eGo cartridge, add drops until it starts to pool. Next, attach the cartridge to your eGo e-cigarette and, holding the battery end in your hand with the cartridge facing toward the floor, shake the e-cigarette several times downward, like you are shaking the mercury down in a thermometer (for those who remember what a mercury thermometer was). This will force the e-liquid down in the mouthpiece. Then, pull the cartridge off of your eGo and it should hold a few more drops.
Please keep in mind that you can do this too much or too hard. If you notice that you are getting e-liquid in your mouth, you may have shaken the juice too far down into your cartridge, past the filler material or you may have overfilled it.
Using Your Standard eGo E-Cig
All of our eGo e-cigs come with manual, push button batteries. When you push the button, it supplies power to the atomizer (the "heating element" part of your e-cigarette). As long as you hold the button down, the atomizer coil will be activated and provide heat to vaporize the e-liquid in the cartridge. When you let go of the button, the vapor will no longer be generated.
Please keep in mind that you can hold the button down for too long. If you hold the button for longer than 5-7 seconds, an automatic cutoff will occur that is built into every eGo battery's circuit board to prevent you from burning up your atomizers and overburdening your batteries. When this happens, the battery will flash several times and stop working temporarily. If you release the button and press it again, the battery will start powering the atomizer again.
When using your eGo electronic cigarette, it should always be held at a slight angle, with the battery side tilting toward the floor. If the battery end is higher than the mouthpiece side, it is quite possible that you will get e-juice in your mouth. This is nothing more than the process of gravity!
Since all people smoke cigarettes differently, it only stands to reason that different people will use their e-cigarette in different ways. The method we have found that gives the maximum amount of vapor for the majority of people is to draw as lightly as you can on your eGo while pressing the button. This permits the airflow to have the maximum amount of time heating the liquid. If you inhale too hard, the air rushes past the liquid in the cartridge faster than the atomizer can heat it, causing very little vapor to be produced.
In no time at all, you will be accustomed to the amount of suction (for lack of a better term) that will produce the most vapor for you!